I think that more birth parents need to know that adoption is such a great blessing and not some bail-out to get them out of responsibility. Adoption blesses bloth sides. The birth parents are able to move on with their lives and continue to reach the goals that had previously set before the pregnancy, and the adoptive couple is able to fulfill a life-long dream! Both sides take a lot of love to complete the adoption process. This makes the birth parents especially brave and considerate, regardless of what the world tells them.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Mother I Want To Be...

My birthday is coming soon. I won't tell you the exact day...mainly for security reasons here on the good ole internet. Plus, many of you already know when my birthday is. And for those of you who don't will probably find out on Facebook. I'm rambling...

Anyway, I've noticed that many people reflect on past years of their lives when their birthdays roll around. And I probably would, that is if I hadn't had the most wonderful thing happen to me on July 24th this past year. But up until then I've spent so much time dwelling on the past and kicking myself for really dumb decisions I've made. So, this year, on my birthday, I'm going to ponder the past, present, and the future...of motherhood! I'm pondering the many mothers who have affected my life in some way. I'm pondering the person that I am today. And I'm pondering on how I can become the mother that I want to be for Austin and for the children we'll adopt in the future.

One of my best of friends shared a secret with me the other day...how to be the perfect mother! She said to me (I'm paraphrasing here) "think of at least one great quality of each woman who has touched your life and apply it to your own life." So, that's what I've been thinking about lately. Who has touched my life? What qualities stood out the most in these women? And what can I do to apply these qualities? I thought it might be best if I write these down (or type).

1. The first of all these women has to be my own mother. And if I could choose just one quality to apply to my own life it would be her Southern Hospitality. She was always warm and welcoming to anyone who came to our home.

2. Second would be a woman who was my CTR teacher. For those of you who aren't LDS, this lady taught me Sunday School when I was about 6 or 7 years old. She gave me my first Book of Mormon. She's a very righteous woman who has always been diligent in keeping God's commandments. She's always been a great leader at church and a great example to all those who look up to her...I being one of them.

3. Third is a woman I became acquainted with at church in Little Rock. She was the Relief Society President of the Pinnacle Mountain Ward when Brett and I were there. She was always (and still is) so kind and accepting of everyone. She was never judgmental.

4. Next is a wonderful woman with whom I served in the Young Womens in Conway. She was the Young Womens President of one of the Conway wards (I can't remember which...I think 2nd ward). She was and still is the classiest woman I know. I'm not refering to class as in how much money her family has. I'm speaking of her character, her poise, and her grace. She lights up a room whenever she walks in. I can't help but smile just at the thought of her.

5. Fifth and the last person I'm going to list (but definitely not the last person I'm going to think about) is a family member that I hold so dear. I think of her everyday. The example she sets for me is probably unbeknownst to her. But when I think of what kind of mother I want to be, I think of her. The most desired quality of her's is humility, though there are many, many others. You would never know what social class the world places her in if you sat and talked to her. She's so spiritual and never thinks she's better than anyone else.

There are so many other women I want to pull desired qualities from. But I wanted to begin by writing down a few that I think of most often.

How am I going to apply these qualities to my own life? One at a time and one day at a time. :)
Starting here in my 28th year of life, I will strive to be more like these women in every positive way. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to write them down, but still haven't. Maybe that will be my January goal. I love when you say the things you say and I love the way you say them. It makes me feel loved! Love you! Dawn