I think that more birth parents need to know that adoption is such a great blessing and not some bail-out to get them out of responsibility. Adoption blesses bloth sides. The birth parents are able to move on with their lives and continue to reach the goals that had previously set before the pregnancy, and the adoptive couple is able to fulfill a life-long dream! Both sides take a lot of love to complete the adoption process. This makes the birth parents especially brave and considerate, regardless of what the world tells them.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Austin Update


So, we went for Austin's 4 month check-up the other day. The diagnosis? He's a happy, and very healthy baby boy! He weighed in at 16.5 lbs (75th percentile) and stretched to 26.5 inches long (90th percentile). :D Our baby boy makes us so proud! (I feel so goofy saying that.)


So, funny story...
Brett watched Austin on Tuesday Evening while I went to Yellville to teach my Hip Hop classes. He wasn't feeling all that great (darn cold), but offered to watch him anyway. After dance, we headed to church for a Relief Society Christmas Dinner, where the three of us played Baby Jesus, Mary & Joseph in the program following the dinner. (Pictures to come later.) But that's not the funny part.
When we returned home, and I went to change Austin's diaper in his room, I noticed this smell. It smelled like dirty diaper. I have a Diaper Genie and it works really well. But thinking that there may be a hole in the bag, I changed it and turned the fan on to get the smell out. A couple of hours later, I put Austin to bed and the smell was still there, and a little more pungent. I looked around the diaper genie and around the changing table to see if I dropped a diaper & just forgot about it. But I saw nothing.
The next day, I noticed that the smell was even worse. As I went to change Austin's diaper later that morning, I opened up the top drawer, and the smell hit me like a ton of bricks! I looked over into the right portion of the drawer, and there it was. A dirty diaper...a dirty, stinky, poopy diaper in the top drawer of the changing table. I called out to Brett and asked him about it. Turns out he was a little more tired from his cold on Tuesday than he had led on.
He kind of felt bad about it, but I had a good laugh. ;)


Austin was so sleepy one evening, he fell asleep in my lap.



Daddy & Austin playing



Take a close look at this picture. Austin is doing this really funny thing with his pacifiers lately. He looks like he's trying to put the whole thing in his mouth when he does this, but I think he's just trying to chew on the hard part because he's teething. Have I mentioned that Austin is teething? Infants Tylenol & Baby Orajel are our besties right now, but we do try to limit the use of them. That's what teething biscuits are for anyway, right?


Austin loves goin to town on his rice rusks. Yes, I do know about the choking hazard these things present. But I watch him the whole time and remove the pieces that start to give him trouble.



We got a Bumbo for Austin! I've been eying these at Target for a while and finally got one on ebay for $15 less (shipping included) than they sell at Target. It took him a day or two to get used to it, but he's been sitting up a lot better ever since we got it.
A friend of mine cautioned me against getting one because her baby kept tipping over in her's. But I had already bid on it and I won. I'm not worried about Austin tipping just yet. He's hardly top-heavy sitting in it. When he exceeds the weight limit for it, then I'll put it back on ebay. Until then, I'll just keep a close eye on him. :)


Anyway, that's all for now! Hopefully, next time I post will be about our adoption finalization and sealing! Until then, here's hoping you have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!

5 comments:

jennifer rogers said...

he's getting so big! Very cute and he really seems like a very happy baby! Joe and I were on the road the other day and thought about stopping to see ya'll and meet Austin but we didn't have your numbers and didn't know who to call to get them!
Brock loves to suck his passy like that I guess it feels good on his gums! Bumbos are the best I got mine as a hand-me-down and Brock loved to sit on the bathroom counter in it and watch me get ready for the day! Hope ya'll have a very Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I ended up with two Bumbos when Abby was a baby, because we left one at my Mom's house. We loved them!!

I have a product for you to check out. Hyland's Teething Tablets were recommended to us when Abby was teething and we really like them. It's these little white tablets that dissolve super fast. I just took one and rubbed it along Abby's gums or just let her suck/chew it till it dissolved (about 2 seconds). They are awesome!! Zac's little sister was at the house once and took one because her tooth hurt - she said they really work! lol I think Zac got them at WalGreens....I recommend them! :o)

When are you guys going to the temple? I forgot....

http://www.hylands.com/products/teething.php

Kate said...

we're going on the 20th
i'll check out those teething tablets next time i'm at walmart or walgreens

Anonymous said...

he is so precious! can't wait to watch him grow up, through my comptuer :(

poor Brett, hope he is feeling better now

Kara said...

That was certainly an entertaining story! Austin is getting so big! He is adorable.