I think that more birth parents need to know that adoption is such a great blessing and not some bail-out to get them out of responsibility. Adoption blesses bloth sides. The birth parents are able to move on with their lives and continue to reach the goals that had previously set before the pregnancy, and the adoptive couple is able to fulfill a life-long dream! Both sides take a lot of love to complete the adoption process. This makes the birth parents especially brave and considerate, regardless of what the world tells them.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hello. My name is Leslie, and I'm addicted to Facebook.

You don't have to be Catholic to observe Lent. In my opinion, everyone who celebrates Mardi Gras should observe Lent. It is the sole purpose of Mardi Gras. You fatten up on "Fat Tuesday" before you begin your 40-day fast on Ash Wednesday. And everyone who parties hard on Mardi Gras could stand to benefit from Lent, I think. Now, of course, because I'm not Catholic, I don't do the whole Ash Wednesday ritual. I don't go to church, have ashes spread on my forehead in the shape of a cross and confess my sins. I do more of a private contemplation, instead. I think about what I'm giving up, how its going to make me a better person, and what else I can change to better myself.

This year, I'm giving up Facebook for Lent. I know its not the traditional type of food or drink one usually gives up for Lent, but I think it'll do more for me than...say, giving up chocolate (oh the horror!) or caffeine (though that wouldn't be half bad). I'm giving up Facebook because it has taken over my life. I find myself surfing my friends profiles and playing Farmville more than I clean house. I'm shirking in my responsibilities as a Mother, a Wife, and a Homemaker. Those three things should be top priorty to me, yet in the past months, Facebook seems to have been #1. So, for the sake of reprioritizing, Facebook has to go. And when Lent is over, I hope to be in a solid habit of putting Austin, Brett, and my home before anything else. Of course I'll still get on to see what my friends are up to and to post the occassional few pictures of Austin, but I won't let it rule my life like it has been. I'll limit myself to once a day AFTER my responsibilities have been met for the day.

So far it hasn't been that bad. I do find myself tempted to just take a peak, but I stop tell myself that I can do this. I'm a person with great self-discipline when I put my mind to it. And I haven't really missed it that much. :) So, here's putting my mind to it for the next 37 days! Wish me luck! :D

1 comment:

Kara said...

you go Leslie...I wish you luck!