I think that more birth parents need to know that adoption is such a great blessing and not some bail-out to get them out of responsibility. Adoption blesses bloth sides. The birth parents are able to move on with their lives and continue to reach the goals that had previously set before the pregnancy, and the adoptive couple is able to fulfill a life-long dream! Both sides take a lot of love to complete the adoption process. This makes the birth parents especially brave and considerate, regardless of what the world tells them.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How to Be Gleefully Happy About a BM: Day 2

Our Potty Training Adventure, Day 2 went better than anticipated! :D Wanna see the stats of the day?
Drum roll, please...

Attempts on the Potty: 19
Accidents in the Undies: 10 (Two better than yesterday)
Successful Potty Trips: 5 (WOOHOO!!!!)

Yesterday morning I was kind of disappointed that I kept catching him AFTER he'd peed his new britches and got ZERO successful trips to the potty before his afternoon nap. I went through an ENTIRE pack of toddler undies before lunch! I was really beginning to question my motives and Austin's readiness.
But TODAY was a totally different experience! Today lifted my spirits as I reminded myself why we are attempting this at the ripe old age of two, and this morning I caught him THREE times before he wet his drawers. He got to munch on 3 M&M's for going #1 in the potty 3 times before his nap! AND he only had 3 accidents before his nap...as opposed to SEVEN yesterday morning. What a fantastic leap!!!
By the end of the day it seemed as if he was actually starting to grasp the whole idea of potty training as Brett and I constantly reminded him to keep his undies dry and go in the big boy potty. I'm so darn proud of my little guy! I KNEW he'd get the hang of it. :D

Tomorrow's goal: 6 successful potty trips and only 9 accidents. I think its do-able, don't you?

1 comment:

Becca said...

Oh, you're doing a great job!!

We had an adventure potty training...
we actually ended up having to stop and start again a few months later because I started when I was 7 months pregnant and then got sick, and then sicker, and then sick again, then had a baby, then got sick a few more times, and finally we got to do potty training again! Phew.

Anyway, at first, Vince had no clue what was going on, so I shut us both in the kitchen, took up all the rugs, gave him his sippy cup full of juice, and sat up on the counter (so I wouldn't get peed on). I also put the potty chair in the kitchen. Well, then I just let him hang out naked in the kitchen. Eventually, he peed. He was like "What is that, and where is it coming from?" after he finally figured out that the pee was coming out of him, he started asking to sit on the potty. Basically the training was downhill from there.

You sound like you're doing GREAT! Whatever you do - don't give up! It is sooooo worth it! We did Vince at 2 yrs old (well, we started at about 20 mos, and the "re-started" at 27 mos), and now I have a 3 year old who goes to the potty by himself anywhere (church, public restrooms, etc - although when we're out and about, I help him on the potty and get dressed after.... mostly because he takes so dang long to do it himself).

And he also changes his underwear himself. About 6 times a day (but that's a recent occurrence... and I hope he grows out of it).