I think that more birth parents need to know that adoption is such a great blessing and not some bail-out to get them out of responsibility. Adoption blesses bloth sides. The birth parents are able to move on with their lives and continue to reach the goals that had previously set before the pregnancy, and the adoptive couple is able to fulfill a life-long dream! Both sides take a lot of love to complete the adoption process. This makes the birth parents especially brave and considerate, regardless of what the world tells them.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

This is why I haven't blogged in a while...


My friend posted this as a note on her Facebook page. I've never heard or read this poem before but it dawned on me when I read it...I may not be a great house-keeper, but it matters not as long as I'm a great mother. :)


Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rock-a-bye, Lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek-peek-a-boo).
The shopping is not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there is a hullabaloo.
But I'm playing "Kanga" and this is my "Roo."
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rock-a-bye, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Ruth Hulburt Hamilton, 1958

3 comments:

EmilyHerb18 said...

You're an awesome Mom Leslie and thats all that matters. Take time to enjoy your babies while you can- the house cleaning will always be there. Love ya!

Emberlee said...

I love this poem. My sister-in-law put this poem on a blanket she made for Tyler. I struggle with this. I always say, "I'm such a Martha." Mary chose the wiser path by stopping to listen to Christ and so should we. Putting Christ and our children/families above housework is the most important. I have to remind myself of this frequently.;)

TroxelTribe said...

This poem always makes me tear up a little bit. Kids don't "keep" that's for sure. And I know that most of the time I don't have the cleanest house on the block, but perhaps I will when I'm old, lol! I do notice that when I'm in a cleaning routine and doing a lot all the time, that I feel like I miss my kids. That I'm not spending enough quality time with them. Ahhh, it makes me want to go wake my girlies up for a hug.... but I'll wait until the morning instead.